Gratitude goes a long way — especially when it comes to your customer experience.
A simple thank you can make your customers feel appreciated and even increase their loyalty to your business. A study by Epsilon found that 80 percent of customers say they are more likely to do business with a company if it offers personalized experiences, like a thank you message.
Best practices for writing thank you messages
Writing personalized messages doesn’t have to be complicated. Just keep these best practices in mind when crafting your thank you’s:
- Be mindful. A “thank you” out of the blue is meaningful, but too many thank you messages can make the words lose their meaning. A yearly or bi-annually thank you message should suffice for most customers.
- Be concise. Long, heartfelt messages are well-received by customers … typically from their close friends and family only. As a business, it’s better to be short, sweet, and to the point with your gratitude.
- Be genuine. Avoid coupling your thank you message with an upsell. It can read as disingenuous and may potentially put off some customers.
- Be proactive. Use this time to ask your customers for valuable feedback to see how you can improve their experience. You can include a customer survey link at the end of your message. You can learn more about customer survey links in our article “Customer satisfaction surveys: Best practices for sending CSAT, CES, and NPS via SMS.”
24 thank you for your business message examples
It’s essential to know what channel to use to communicate with your customers. While each customer has their preferences, some common communication channels for thank you messages are email, text, or a classic handwritten letter. As a general rule, emails are better for longer, more formal messages (think like a letter,) while texting is better for short and sweet notes.
Here are 24 thank you for your business message examples for each department in your business, since anyone can say thank you on behalf of your company.
Sales and marketing
1. General thank you for your business
We are honored to be your business of choice and hope we can continue to meet your expectations.
2. Send a coupon
3. Provide a token of gratitude
Hi, Gary. Our company sent out swag packs a few days ago that should be reaching you shortly. It’s a small token of our appreciation for your business. Let me know if there’s anything I can do for your account. Have a great day!
4. Highlight being a small business
Thank you for your continued support of our small mom-and-pop shop! We wouldn’t be where we are today without you.
5. Thank someone who attends a customer appreciation event
Terry, thank you for coming out to our customer appreciation event. We hope you enjoyed it!
6. Thank a customer for being your account
Hi, Dan. I’m sad to announce that I am leaving the company, but I want to take this time to thank you for allowing me to handle your account. It’s been a pleasure.
7. Thank someone for being a part of your community
Thank you for being a part of our warrior tribe, Kevin!
8. Thank a customer who helps you achieve an award
Our company was recently voted as one of the top marketing firms in the city by The Austin Daily. We couldn’t have done it without you.
9. Thank someone who refers a friend or business
Hey, Parish! Thank you for recommending our services to your friend.
10. Thank someone who renews their contract
Thank you for renewing your contract with JW Foods. We are thankful for the opportunity to supply you with the best products for your restaurants.
11. Thank a customer who churns
Hi, Kelsey. We’re sorry to see you go, but we are happy we had the opportunity to serve you.
12. Thank a customer for their patience
Dear customer, thank you for your patience while we renovate our stores. Our online stores are open in the meantime.
13. After someone interacts with your customer support team
Hi, Sarah. Thanks for contacting our customer service department. We hope we were able to help you with your needs.
14. After a customer places an order
Thank you for your purchase! We hope you are happy with your order. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
15. Thank someone who fills out a survey
Thank you for submitting a customer satisfaction survey. We take all of your concerns into consideration.
16. Thank someone who subscribes to a newsletter
Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter! We will share updates, sales, coupons, and more here. Stay tuned!
17. Thank someone who submits a payment
We got your payment — thank you! You can check your billing statements online.
18. Thank someone who brings up an issue
Thank you for providing valuable feedback. We have considered your advice and will be working with our design team to incorporate it into our future releases.
19. Thank someone who gives your business a second chance
Hi, there, Wasim. We just resprayed your exterior for your pest issues. We apologize that the first round wasn’t as effective as you hoped it would be. Thank you for giving us a second chance!
20. A general thank you for being a patient
Thanks for putting a smile on our faces by being our patient! The Dental Clinic appreciates your business.
21. Thank a patient for being a longtime customer
Alexis, you’ve been our patient for three years! Thank you for choosing Dr. Feng and the staff to provide you with exceptional eye care.
22. Thank you to a patient that refers a friend
Hey, Amina! Thank you for referring your friends for laser hair removal at our medspa. We made two new customers thanks to your recommendation.
23. Thank a patient for their feedback
Hi, Carol. Thank you for providing feedback for our office. We aim to provide the best eye care, and your input helps us get there.
24. Thank a patient who is leaving
Hi, Trisha. We’re so happy to see your improvement with physical therapy. Thank you for letting us help you in your journey to better health!
Benefits of using texting for thank you messages
Sending a note of gratitude is a beautiful sentiment, but where and how you send the message matters. While email is the standard place to send thank you messages, email has a low engagement rate because it’s impersonal. If you’re a small business with few clients, you can likely get away with handwriting personal thank you letters, but those aren’t efficient for most companies.
One channel to consider for sending thank you messages is texting. Text messaging is a great medium to send thank you notes because texting is one of the most popular communication channels in the world. Most people have their cell phones on them at all times, so it’s no surprise that texts have a 98 percent open rate, compared to emails at six percent.
You can add a ton of personality into a text by sharing an emoji or a photo, which is encouraged since texting is a personal medium by nature.
Send a text with emojis
When used correctly, texting can provide you with a way to communicate with your customers in a meaningful manner to build long-term customer relationships. It offers a non-intrusive way to contact your customers and has a high response rate of 45 percent to encourage back-and-forth communication.
Share photos or videos
So, what are you waiting for? Make your customer’s day with a simple thank you text.